Choose a language
Plan a route here
Castle

Buseck Castle and Castle Gardens

Castle · Lahntal · 195 m · open today
Responsible for this content
Lahntal Tourismus Verband e. V. Verified partner  Explorers Choice 
  • Eingang zum Schloss Buseck
    Eingang zum Schloss Buseck
    Photo: Jürgen Schmidt-Lohmann,© Lahntal Tourismus Verband
Buseck Castle, a former moated castle, was first mentioned in 1458. Around 1869 the modernization building in the neo-Gothic style, which characterizes the building to this day. Today the castle houses the municipal administration and the registry office. The park belonging to the castle is freely accessible to the public.

Buseck Castle, a former moated castle, was first mentioned in 1458. It consists of two three-story buildings, which abut each other at right angles on the south and west sides. The west wing was built at the end of the 16th century, on the walls of an older residential tower. The coat of arms stone of the von Trohe family above the castle chapel dates back to the time of the residential tower.

The southern wing with a passage to the courtyard was added in the Baroque style during the renovation in 1754. This is indicated by the coat of arms stone of the von Nordeck zur Rabenau and von Minnigerode families above the archway on the courtyard side. The bridge that led across the moat, which still existed at that time, into the castle park also dates from this time. Around 1869, the building was modernized in the neo-Gothic style, which still characterizes the building today. Today, the rooms of the Buseck castle house the municipal administration and the registry office. The wedding ceremonies are held in the old castle chapel in the former tower.

The layout of the estate belonging to the castle in the southwest of the castle park is still clearly visible, especially since significant old farm buildings have been preserved.

The large tithe barn at the head of the court estate was built in 1677 by Crafft Adam von Buseck and has been preserved unchanged. Particularly remarkable is the almost unique wooden roof construction of the old barn.

At the southern end of the castle park, the foundation walls of a residential tower from the 14th century were excavated by archaeologists in 1999. This second castle, called the Perch, has been documented since 1387.

Today, the newly built Schlosspark Cultural Center, built between 1999 and 2001, stands on this site. In the foyer of the new community center, the excavation findings as well as a documentation of the history of the "Perch" and the excavations can be seen. Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Opening hours

open today
Sunday00:00–24:00
Monday00:00–24:00
Tuesday00:00–24:00
Wednesday00:00–24:00
Thursday00:00–24:00
Friday00:00–24:00
Saturday00:00–24:00
The castle gardens are open all year round. Today, the castle itself houses the municipal administration of Buseck.

Coordinates

DD
50.611053, 8.787705
DMS
50°36'39.8"N 8°47'15.7"E
UTM
32U 484979 5606595
w3w 
///graph.recording.idiomatic
Arrival by train, car, foot or bike
Sorry, no results found.

Questions and answers

Ask the first question

Would you like to the ask the author a question?


Rating

Write your first review

Help others by being the first to add a review.


Photos from others


Buseck Castle and Castle Gardens

Ernst-Ludwig-Straße 15
35418 Buseck
Phone (0049) 6408 911-0
  • Content
  • Show images Hide images
Features
2D 3D
Maps and trails