The mediaeval Church of St. Paul, surrounded by a wall, is located at the end (or the beginning) of the Stara Fužina village. The original church was supposedly built in the 13th century for the miners and ironworkers who lived in the area with their families.
The medieval centre consists of the nave and the open entryway. The entryway is one of the largest that are still preserved in Slovenia, paved with round river stones and narrow flat stones. It is the work of the same workshop that paved the entryway in the Church of St. John in 1639.
On the west facade there are only partly preserved Gothic frescoes, depicting a number of saints: the central three figures are the work of the master of the Bohinj presbytery, the frescoes of St. Leonard in the left side and St. Achatius on the right side are the work of another painter about twenty years later. St. Christopher on the south outer side of the nave dates back to the 17th century.
The large altar dates from the middle of the 17th century, later a painting of the patron saint was added (The Conversion of St. Paul, by Matija Koželj at the end of the 19th century). The two altars in the side chapels are a century younger. The wooden choir on two pillars (from the second half of the 17th century) is decorated with three wood carved angels "musicians".
There are also modern oil paintings in red-blue technique depicting the Way of the Cross made by a recognized painter Valentin Oman in the church.
Additional historical facts:
- The church was first mentioned as a subsidiary of the Church of St. Martin in Srednja vas
- According to the frescoes beside the main entrance, the church is at least half a century older
- In the following centuries, the church was rebuilt many times (in 1502 by the Counts of Ortenburg)
- The church acquired its present appearance in the 18th century when the bell tower with a double bulb-shaped cap, the lantern and the two chapels were added