On the top you can also decide for an easier option of the descent.
Safety informationThe tour is recommended only in stable and good snow conditions. After the new snow there is a great danger of avalanches. It is dangerous to slip on hard snow or ice below the ridge. If the snow is hard or icy, it is necessary to choose one of the alternatives described below. On the ridge you have to watch out for the cornices.
Tips and hintsIf the mountain hut on planina Razor is open, it is worth to stop for a drink and try the excellent štruklji.
If the snow line is high and the road from planina Razor to planina Kuk is passable (someone has to pick you up), then this descent is a more comfortable option.
If you want to return to Bohinj, it is best to organize transport to the railway station in Most na Soči and return to Bohinj by train.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
EquipmentAvalanche trio (avalanche beacon, avalanche probe, shovel), touring skis, bindings, ski boots; skins, ski crampons; ice axe, crampons.
Basic Equipment for Ski Touring
- Ski Helmet
- 2 pairs of Gloves: lightweight, breathable and windproof for going uphill, regular ski gloves for downhill
- moisture wicking skull / knit cap
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Lightweight rain and windproof ski jacket
- Additional warm jacket
- Long, warm technical socks plus liners and spares
- Lightweight wind- and waterproof ski pants
- 20 to 28 liter rucksack, preferably backcountry type
- Lip protection (SPF 30+)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Ski Touring
- Ski touring boots
- Ski touring bindings to fit boots
- Ski touring skins to fit skis
- Ski poles, preferably telescopic type
- Avalanche safety equipment to consider: beacon, avalanche probe, avalanche shovel
- Ski touring crampons
- Crevasse rescue kit
- Ski touring harness
- Light ice axe
- Ski touring ropes
- Avalanche airbag backpack
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.