The trail starts in the historical town of Kobarid passes the Kobarid Museum and the Planika Kobarid Dairy and leads to the Napoleon's bridge across the Soča River. Here, it continues towards the village of Ladra where it turns towards the village of Smast and continues along the road to the village of Krn. Along the trail towards the Kuhinja Mountain pasture, you can make a short stop in the village of Vrsno which is the birthplace of the poet Simon Gregorčič where you can visit his birth house. Continue ascending along the road through the forest until you reach the village of Krn from where you only have to overcome the last ascent until you reach the parking lot on the Kuhinja Mountain pasture which is a popular starting point for hiking tours. During the summer months, there is a Hop On Hop Off shuttle bus with enough space for bicycles running from the town of Kobarid to the Kuhinja Mountain pasture and back. You can also take this tour in only one direction.
Rest StopMountain hut Kuhinja
Safety informationDuring the main tourist season, the road to the Kuhinja Mountain pasture becomes busier. Certain sections of the road are quite narrow, which is why we recommend caution when meeting other vehicles.
Tips and hintsFrom the middle of June to the end of August, there is a Hop On Hop Off shuttle bus with enough space for bicycles running from the town of Kobarid to the Kuhinja Mountain pasture and back.
Parking lot on the Kuhinja Mountain pasture is located in the immediate vicinity of several high-mountain pastures beneath Mt. Krn where you can buy cheese, curd and other dairy products during the summer months.
Parking lot on the Kuhinja Mountain pasture is a popular starting point for climbing tours to Mt. Krn and the nearby mountains.
From this parking lot you can also take shorter tours, such as the tour to the Krn megalithic circle and similar tours.
Getting thereFrom Nova Gorica: Nova Gorica - Kanal - Tolmin - Kobarid.
From Ljubljana: Ljubljana - Idrija - Tolmin - Kobarid.
From Bled/Bohinj: Bled - Bohinjska Bistrica - Soriška planina - Podbrdo - Tolmin - Kobarid.
From Kranjska Gora: Kranjska Gora - Bovec - Kobarid.
ParkingParking is available at the parking lot in the centre of Kobarid in the vicinity of the Kobarid Community Centre. Payable parking is available at the Napoleon’s Bridge across the Soča River which fills up quickly during the main season. Parking is also available in the vicinity of the cemetery. All parking lots are marked in the Kobarid Historical Trail leaflet.
Author’s map recommendations
Recommended maps for this region:
EquipmentSafety helmet, technically flawless bicycle, appropriate clothing, drinks.
Basic Equipment for Bike Riding
- Cycling helmet
- Cycling gloves
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
Technical Equipment for Bike Riding
- Air pump or CO2 pump including cartridges
- Puncture repair kit
- Replacement inner tube
- Tire levers
- Chain tool
- Hex keys
- Phone / device holder as required
- Bike lock as required
- Where applicable, the bike must meet requirements for road use by having a bell, front and rear lamps and spoke reflectors
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.