The trail runs along the regional road Bovec-Trenta through the villages of Kal - Koritnica, Soča and Trenta.
Sights worth visiting along the trail:
- Natural sights – Small Soča Gorge and the Great Soča Gorge (from the turn towards the village of Lepena in the direction of Trenta),
- The oldest Slovenian Alpine Botanical Garden in the natural environment - Julijana.
After the turn towards the cottage at the source of the Soča River (49th hairpin bend of the Vršič Mountain pass road) you continue cycling along a paved road. After a short and somewhat steep ascent you arrive to the parking lot next to the cottage. At this point, the road narrows and continues through the beautiful environment of the Zadnja Trenta Valley. On your left and on your right you can see high mountain tops, and at certain locations, you can even see Mt. Bavški Grintavec.
The road from the cottage to the Flori parking lot is not paved. It is quite rubbly at certain steep parts, which makes cycling slightly more difficult for trekking cyclists.
It is also worthwhile to hike to the source of the Soča River on foot. The initially wide trail quickly starts to ascend and takes you to a more demanding part which is secured with a wire-rope. It is possible to climb to the very source of the river.
Before the turn towards the cottage at the source of the Soča River this trail follows the regional road which is quite busy during the summer, therefore caution is advised.
Even though the trail is secured with a wire-rope, the hike to the cave with the source of the Soča River is demanding and less appropriate for persons without experience hiking on rocky terrain.
Getting thereYou can get to the town of Bovec by car from the town of Tolmin or the city of Nova Gorica, and across the Predel and Vršič Mountain Passes from the north
ParkingParking is available at any of the several parking lots in Bovec.
Recommended maps for this region:
There is a paved road leading to the cottage which is appropriate for trekking cyclists.
The road from the cottage to the final parking lot is not paved and is at certain sections somewhat steep and rubbly. Here, cycling is more comfortable on bicycles with wider tires with more profile.
There are plenty of opportunities to replenish your water supply along the trail.
For the hike to the source of the Soča River we recommend you to wear boots with well-profiled soles because the last third of the trail is routed along quite worn and slippery rocks.
Basic Equipment for Bike Riding
- Cycling helmet
- Cycling gloves
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
Technical Equipment for Bike Riding
- Air pump or CO2 pump including cartridges
- Puncture repair kit
- Replacement inner tube
- Tire levers
- Chain tool
- Hex keys
- Phone / device holder as required
- Bike lock as required
- Where applicable, the bike must meet requirements for road use by having a bell, front and rear lamps and spoke reflectors
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.