The starting ascent to the village of Drežnica is the most difficult because you have to overcome an altitude difference of 300 metres in just 5 kilometres. From the village of Magozd to the village of Trnovo ob Soči, there is a two-track gravel trail routed through the forest. During the summer months you can refresh yourself in Kamp Trnovo which you come across along this cycling tour.
From the village of Trnovo ob Soči you cycle along the main road to the turn for the Otona Pool. At the Otona Pool (entry point for kayakers in direction towards the town of Kobarid) turn to the left and continue along the gravel road leading past Kamp Lazar back to the starting point.
During the summer months, there is a Hop On Hop Off shuttle bus running to the village of Drežnica which provides free-of-charge transportation of bicycles. By taking the bus during the hottest months you shorten the tour and avoid the difficult ascent (recommended for families).
Rest StopRestaurant Camp Lazar
Safety informationThis tour is not demanding. The main road Bovec – Kobarid requires caution during the summer months due to the increased traffic volume.
Tips and hintsYou can stop in the village of Drežnica and visit the Batognica Private Museum Collection.
During the summer months, there is a Hop On Hop Off shuttle bus running to the village of Drežnica which provides free-of-charge transportation of bicycles. By taking the bus during the hottest months you shorten the tour and avoid the difficult ascent.
Shuttle bus timetable: www.dolina-soce.si.
Getting thereFrom Nova Gorica: Nova Gorica - Kanal - Tolmin - Kobarid.
From Ljubljana: Ljubljana - Idrija - Tolmin - Kobarid.
From Bled/Bohinj: Bled - Bohinjska Bistrica - Soriška planina - Podbrdo - Tolmin - Kobarid.
From Kranjska Gora: Kranjska Gora - Bovec - Kobarid.
ParkingParking is available at the parking lot in the centre of Kobarid in the vicinity of the Kobarid Community Centre. Payable parking is available at the Napoleon’s Bridge across the Soča River which fills up quickly during the main season. Parking is also available in the vicinity of the cemetery. All parking lots are marked in the Kobarid Historical Trail leaflet.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Recommended maps for this region:
EquipmentTrekking bicycle and a cycling helmet.
Basic Equipment for Bike Riding
- Cycling helmet
- Cycling gloves
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
Technical Equipment for Bike Riding
- Air pump or CO2 pump including cartridges
- Puncture repair kit
- Replacement inner tube
- Tire levers
- Chain tool
- Hex keys
- Phone / device holder as required
- Bike lock as required
- Where applicable, the bike must meet requirements for road use by having a bell, front and rear lamps and spoke reflectors
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.