High mountain pasture Komna stretches above the Bohinj valley. During WWI, this area of Bohinj was part of the hinterland or a transitional area between the hinterland and the Isonzo Front battlefield. Many remains along the trail remind us of this period.
The Dom na Komni mountain hut is open all year round and is located on a panoramic hill west of Lake Bohinj. The hut can be seen from the lake and its surrounding area. There is a panoramic terrace at the hut, which offers a beautiful view of the Bohinj and Tolmin mountain range. The hut is also a starting point for hiking tourist to many Julian Alps mountains.
Govnjač pasture is located on the Spodnja Komna plateau. There are still many architectural remains visible from WWI. On 25 January 2006, the lowest temperature of this area was measured on Govnjač pasture, i.e. -40.2°C.
Koča pod Bogatinom mountain hut is located in the central part of the Na Kraju pasture. It is open in summer season and occasionally during ski touring season. A beautiful view opens up there and stretches to the peaks above Komna plateau.
Prior to every hike, check the weather forecast and trail conditions.
Take some time and visit the Savica Waterfall, one of the most beautiful and popular waterfalls in Slvoenia. You can reach the waterfall from the trailhead at Koča pri Savici alpine lodge in about 20 minutes. This trail offers you many wonderful views of Lake Bohinj, the South Bohinj Range and the west part of Bohinj.
Rest StopDom na Komni
Koča pri Savici
Safety informationThere can be fallen trees in some parts of the trail due damage caused by strong winds.
Tips and hints
Turizem Bohinj, Stara Fužina, tel.: +386 4 57 47 590
TIC Bohinj, Ribčev Laz, tel.: +386 4 574 60 10
TIC Bohinj, Bohinjska Bistrica, tel.: +386 4 574 76 00
TIC Bohinj, Stara Fužina, tel.: +386 4 572 33 26
TNP Bohinj Centre, Stara Fužina, tel.: +386 1 200 97 60
Julian Alps Card: Bohinj offers free transport and other benefits.
Freshen up at Planinski dom Savica alpine lodge, where you can also enjoy culinary delicacies awarded with the Bohinjsko/From Bohinj certificate. The certificate guarantees the geographical origin of products.
Getting thereDrive by car to Koča pri Savici vas from Bled, through Soteska or over Pokljuka. You can also access the village across Jelovica and Soriška planina.
ParkingA car park is available at the starting point (coordinates: 46,2896, 13,8022).
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
EquipmentWe recommend hiking shoes and clothes as well as enough water. Dom na Komni mountain hut is open all year round, Koča pod Bogatinom is open in summer and in ski touring season.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.