This pleasant hiking trail from the almost abandoned village of Montemaggiore (Brezje) to the spring of the Nadiža River (Rio Bianco (Beli Potok)) is also appropriate for families and less experienced hikers.
Distance 7 km
The trail starts in the village of Montemaggiore (Brezje) where you can park at an arranged parking lot next to the church. After a couple of meters, turn from the paved road to a marked cart track and continue along the relatively well-worn terrain across the slope. On your left, you can admire the peaks and valleys of the Breginjski kot Valley, whilst on your right, you can admire the slope of Mt. Breški Jalovec (ridge of Mt. Stol) with several small streams which you can cross. The trail is undemanding and requires caution only at certain sections. After approximately 60 minutes of walking you arrive to a ravine with a somewhat larger stream – Rio Bianco (Beli Potok) – one of the sources of the Nadiža River. A short ascent along the gravel stones will reward you with a wonderful view – a double waterfall – where it is almost mandatory to stop and do a short meditation while admiring the nature. Return along the same trail. The entire tour will take you approximately 120 minutes, however, more experienced hikers, unaccompanied by children, can make it even faster.
There are only six inhabitants still living in the village of Montemaggiore (Brezje), therefore it is well worth to stop and drink a cup of coffee or have a little snack in the only inn and pizzeria and say hello to the locals.
Update: December 05, 2020
Safety informationDuring the winter, the trail can get partially covered with ice, however, it is still safe. After heavy rainfall or when the snow melts in the spring time, certain sections of the trail can get flooded by the watercourses (you can jump across the water).
Tips and hintsStop at the inn and pizzeria and a quick chat with the locals.
Getting thereWe recommend you to reach the starting point from the village of Breginj, by crossing the Most na Nadiži (Ponte Vittorio) former border crossing and by passing through the village of Platischis (Plestišča).
ParkingNext to the church in Montemaggiore (Brezje).
33T 374471 5125043
Book recommendations for this region:
EquipmentAppropriate hiking footwear.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view