From Bovec, we walk along the historic route past Ravelnik, the positions of the Austrian army in WWI, which are currently presented in an outdoor museum, and to the mighty Kluže Fortress, built above the 60-metres deep gorge of the Koritnica River. We continue along the right bank to the gorge and waterfalls of Nemčlja brook, past the lower part of the Možnica Valley and back to the main road that leads to Log.
Log pod Mangartom is a beautiful village nested below the peaks of Jerebica, Mangart, Jalovec and Loške stene. In the middle of the village, there is an entry to a tunnel, that ran to the mine on the Italian side, which was the source of income for many people in the past. The mine is closed now.
Rest StopSTAMP - Možnica, 533 m
The ascent along the path above the gorge of Nemčlja towards Možnica (approx. 30 minutes) is partially exposed and insufficiently secured; in wet and icy conditions, special caution is necessary.
In winter (December to March), the trail below Rombon is exposed to landslides and impassable.
Tips and hints
Hint by Triglav National Park: The Koritnica Gorge
The Koritnica is a vibrant alpine river that, together with its tributaries, collects water from four valleys: Loška Koritnica, Predelica, Možnica and Bavšica. The high relative altitude difference between the mountain peaks and the valley floor increases the erosive power of the water after heavy rains. In the area of the Kluže Fortress, water has been carving, since prehistoric times, the deepest river gorge in Slovenia, which reaches a depth of more than 70m. On the stretch of the Juliana Trail between Log pod Mangrtom and Bovec, hikers will enjoy spectacular views of the ‘strait’ at Kluže.
The ancient, strategically important Kluže passage would never come to existence had it not been for the stubborn and persistent Koritnica River, which has been chiselling, abrading and taking away millennia-old bedrock of the Julian Alps. In Triglav National Park, the Kortinica is not used for recreation activities, and in the Kluže area, it is protected as a natural monument. This majestic work of nature is best observed from the river shore. Be respectful and act as an attentive and careful visitor who leaves nothing but his footprints behind. Downstream from Kluže, the Koritnica attracts small rafts, kayaks and canoes, as well as catch & release fishermen.
Kranjska Gora – Vršič – Bovec
Kranjska Gora – Tarvisio (Italy) – Predel – Log pod Mangartom – Bovec
Tolmin – Kobarid – Bovec – Log pod Mangartom
Car parks in Bovec.
Car park before Log pod Mangartom near the Koritnica River.
Book recommendations for this region:
EquipmentHiking equipment suitable for the season.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.