Rest StopSTAMP - Predel, 1165 m
The Predil Pass is one of the three stages of our trail that exceed an altitude of 1000 metres, therefore, it is the most demanding pass besides the pass over Bačarsko sedlo. In winter or in snow, usually from December to April, the described stage is exposed to avalanches and is impassable.
Since the trail runs across the Mangartski potok mountain stream, it can also be impassable during heavy rainfall. The best choice in such conditions is the use of the regional road that runs more or less along the trail.
Tips and hints
Hint by Triglav National Park: Loška stena and Mangart
The mountain landscape of the Julian Alps is an open book on a geological history spanning more than 200 million years. Layer after layer the sea deposited limestone sediments, creating rock faces of the Julian Alps that rise more than a thousand metres high. The diversity and age of marine environments, in which these rocks were formed, is also manifested in numerous beautifully preserved fossil remains.
At many sites within the national park, the visitor’s eye will be caught by images from the petrified seafloor, including seashells, anemone, searching and corals. The Mangart and Loška Stena massifs are a display of impressive geological phenomena. Although mountain chains seem majestic and permanent, they are nothing but a flicker in the geological time.
Erosion always wins, regardless of the power of internal forces. Precipitation in the form of rain, snow and ice can modify the limestone surface and the underground world of the Julian Alps.
Bovec – Log pod Mangartom
Kranjska Gora– Tarvisio (Italy) – Predel border crossing – Log pod Mangartom
Car park outside Log pod Mangartom.
Car parks in Cave del Predil.
Book recommendations for this region:
EquipmentHiking equipment suitable for the season.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.