The stage runs from the tourist pearl of Brda, i.e. the medieval village of Šmartno, over the Sabotin hill to Solkan. The route connects Brda with the Bohinj railway line and the Soča region on one side, and the Vipava Valley on the other.
Distance 13.7 km
During this stage there are many spots where you can enjoy beautiful views, sit on a bench or have a picnic.
We recommend visiting the museum collection at Sabotin and walking in the tunnels and caverns, which will be a unique experience, especially if you are travelling with children. Pay special attention to interesting flora and fauna, which differ on the sunny and shaded sides of the hill.
Update: November 29, 2021
Rest StopSTAMP - Sabotin, 609 m
Safety informationThe route is safe and waymarked.
Tips and hintsThis stage is interesting in all seasons, but the views are even more beautiful in autumn and winter once the trees have shed their leaves.
Getting thereYou can reach Solkan via the Soča Road, direction Nova Gorica, or from Nova Gorica to Tolmin and Bovec; there is a car park at the bridge over the Soča River.
ParkingŠmartno – free car park at the entrance to the village; Solkan – free car park at the bridge over the Soča River in the direction of Goriška Brda.
33T 388179 5095642
Book recommendations for this region:
EquipmentHiking equipment suitable for the weather and season.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view