From Podbrdo, we ascend along the alpine trail to Črna prst through the village of Trtnik. We start our journey through alpine villages on the other side of the Kalarsko brdo pass. The first two villages, Kal and Stržišče, were colonised by the Tyroleans. Together with the neighbouring Rut and Grant, Sorica and Nemški Rovt, they were set up by the immigrants from Innichen in Pustertal. We continue through the abandoned Znojile to Obloke along the route of the famous Four Municipalities Mountain Marathon. The world cup was also organised along this route once. While slightly descending from Obloke, we continue to the old road that was the main communication channel through the valley. We continue to the settlement of Zarakovec and descend to Bača, Koritnica to Grahovo ob Bači, where the stage ends.
The villages of Koritnica and Grahovo were the main venues of the first Slovenian film "Na svoji zemlji". This period has also been commemorated by the memorial hiking trail, equipped with information points and scenes from the film.
Rest StopSTAMP - Kal, 819 m
Phone reception is bad in some places.
Normal level of caution is recommended, there are no special dangers along the way.
In winter, all Juliana Trail stages from Podbrdo to Bovec are impassable in snow, but if the conditions are dry (usually until the end of December or from March), the trail is very nice.
Tips and hints
Hint by Triglav National Park: The valley of the Bača River: Baška grapa
The valley of the Bača River, called Baška Grapa in Slovene, is an area of rugged and mountainous terrain that has developed on geologically diverse bedrock. In the geological past, the area was exposed to the erosive power of the Bača and its tributaries, as well as the transformations of massive glaciers receding from the Lower Bohinj Mountains (Spodnje Bohinjske gore).
The running water had excavated narrow valleys, or grape, with steep sides sloping at an average incline of about 35 degrees. As water is in high supply, the area abounds in springs, ravines, troughs, waterfalls and cascades. Rocky slopes are brought to life by the tiny and fragile star-like blossoms of the short-haired sandwort, which is endemic to these parts.
Take the train from Ljubljana or Villach to Jesenice, Bled, Bohinjska Bistrica and Podbrdo.
A car train also drives on the Bohinjska Bistrica – Podbrdo – Most na Soči route.
Ljubljana – Škofja Loka – Petrovo Brdo – Podbrdo
Most na Soči – Podbrdo
Car park at the railway station in Podbrdo.
Car park above the railway station in Grahovo.
Book recommendations for this region:
EquipmentHiking equipment suitable for the season.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.