Rudnica got its name after ore that was mined there in the past (Ruda - ore). The ore was transported to the valley by cableway from the edge of the clearing where the trail runs. It was used to manufacture iron and aluminium. Excavations made by miners on the hill can still be seen along the trail. Most bauxite was excavated during WWI.
Former mining trails have been overgrown by bushes, there is an exposed and sharp rocky section below Široka polica (“Wide Shelf”) that reminds us of the former mining activities. Below it, a former mining trail was used to connect Rudnica with the valley.
According to a legend, where there are miners, there is also Perkmandeljc, a small dwarf who banters with the miners. The underground world is its kingdom. He showed himself to the miners and then suddenly disappeared to prevent them from mining.
Rudnica is famous for rich flora. The Bohinj iris, the symbol of the International Wild Flower Festival that takes place every spring in Bohinj, is especially interesting.
Safety informationThere can be fallen trees in some parts of the trail due damage caused by strong winds. A very short section of the trail runs across a scree.
At the very top, where it is steep, be careful because it can be icy and slippery in the winter months.
Tips and hints
Turizem Bohinj, Stara Fužina, tel.: +386 4 57 47 590
TIC Bohinj, Ribčev Laz, tel.: +386 4 574 60 10
TIC Bohinj, Bohinjska Bistrica, tel.: +386 4 574 76 00
TIC Bohinj, Stara Fužina, tel.: +386 4 572 33 26
TNP Bohinj Centre, Stara Fužina, tel.: +386 1 200 97 60
Julian Alp Card: Bohinj offers free transport and other benefits.
During the International Wild Flower Festival (end of May, start of June) you can join a guided hike (with a botanist) to Rudnica, where you can get detailed information about the flora of this area. https://ww.bohinj.si/alspkocvetje/
Drive by car to Brod from Bled, through Soteska or over Pokljuka.
You can also access the village across Jelovica and Soriška planina.
ParkingThere is a free car park at the cycling route in Brod, parking is not time-limited (coordinates: 46.16298, 13.55220).
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
EquipmentPlease wear proper shoes and clothes and bring enough drinks, because there are no water springs or inns along the way.
Small crampons are recommended for winter conditions.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.