This circular hike to the popular viewpoint of Smokuški vrh (also known as Vrh Peči) leads along a slightly longer, scenic route. The trail from Begunje na Gorenjskem runs alongside the sunny valley of the Blatnica stream then through the forest to reach the Kališče pass. From there the paths in places levels out before ascending the Smokuški vrh viewpoint (1,122 metres above sea-level). There are wonderful views of the Radovljica plains, Bled with its famous lake, and the surroundings, as well as the magnificent Julian Alps in the distance. To the east, on a fine day the views extend all the way to the Ljubljana basin.
The return route leads along picturesque slopes to the Sankaška koča mountain hut, which is open year-round and onwards to St. Peter’s church. You can visit the church with its ornate frescoed interior and take in the stunning views once more, this time of Begunje na Gorenjskem and Radovljica and its surroundings, before descending back to the valley.
ParkingVečje parkirišče je v Krpinu, nekaj možnosti za parkiranje pa je tudi naprej ob makadamski cesti, vendar so ta pogosto zasedena.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.