St. Peter's church above Begunje (with nearby Sankaška koča hut) counts as one of the best view points of Gorenjska (Upper Carniola) region. Short (though sometimes steep) hike from the village Begunje na Gorenjskem follows the medieval path of pilgrims, leading to a mountain of deep spiritual importance. Proofs of pre-Christian worship were found in the natural cave at the top of the mountain, while first catholic church appears already in the 12th century. Today's gothic church dating back to the beginning of 16th century features fascinating frescoes of Slovenian medieval church painter Bartholomew from Škofja Loka and signatures of medieval pilgrims.
The view from the top spreads from Julian Alps (with Bled basin beneath), Jelovica plateau, Radovljica, Ljubljana basin, Kamnik- Savinja Alps to nearby Karavanke mountain range.
The walk can be extended to Smukuški vrh or Roblekov dom mountain hut (via Poljška Planina).
- Kindly ask Milan or Milka (sacristans of the church- residing at the Gorjak mountain farm next door) to open the doors of the church for you.
- After longer periods of rain (especially in autumn or winter) certain parts of the trail in lower sections of the forest can be muddy and slippery.
Tips and hints
- The panoramic terrace in front of Sankaška koča mountain lodge is a fabolous place for a refreshing drink or a bowl of warm soup. Open all year round (Wednesday to Sunday).
- Fans of Slavko Avsenik might be interested to know that the most popular slovenian musician of all times described St. Peter's hill as "the most beautifull place in the world".
- Make sure you don't miss the cave behind the church of St. Peter. It's proven to have been a pre-christian site of worship. Many legends and beliefs about describing the healing powers of the cave were preseved until today. Right until a century ago, women from the village were seen sguating above the cave entrance hoping for warm cave air to bring them fertilty.
Getting thereUse exits Lesce (3), Radovljica (4) or Brezje (5) from A2/E 61 motorway and follow the signs for Begunje na Gorenjskem. Reaching the village pass, the Elan ski factory and Mercator grocery shop. On your left you shall see public parking spaces and Tourist information centre Begunje.
ParkingFree parking spaces by Jurček pub and infront of post office (except blue area)
EquipmentWalking or athletic shoes with good fricton. Since the climb is quite steep, it a good idea to pack a fresh T-shirt.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.