The Grabnarica and Lipnica streams once powered a number of mills and sawmills. A walk along The Grabnarca waterside Nature Trail reveals the importance of water for the local population, both in the past and today. The circular path leads through an area which is known for its exceptionally diverse flora and fauna, including rare stone crayfish and, the symbol of the trail: the white-throated dipper.
The trail leads from village Lancovo, to the impressive source of Lipnica stream. From here, the waterside path follows the Grabnarica brook. Leaping from one side of the stream to the other (across numerous wooden footbridges), the trail reaches a scenic fish-pond named "Count's Lake'. The second part of the walk runs through the wide open pastures and hay meadows of village Vošče, with delightful views of the Karavanke mountains and the Julian Alps.
The Grabnarca trail is a natural extension of The Lipnica Castle Natural Science Trail, therfore both trails can be wonderfully combined.
Some of the wooden bridges across Grabnarca tilt in places and parts of the bridge railings are missing in places, and/or wooden planks have been dislodged, but they cn all be crossed safely.
Footbridges alongside the Grabnarica stream can be very slippery in wet - please take caution and use the handrail.
Tips and hints
Getting thereDriving on the motorway from the direction of Ljubljana or Bled, use the exit No. 3 (Lesce). Leave the roundabout at the third exit (direction Radovljica, Begunje na Gorenjskem). Reaching the second roundabout, drive straight through (second exit, direction Radovljica, Begunje na Gorenjskem), after about 1200 meters turn right at the junction (Radovljica, Kropa). Drive straight through the third roundabout (second exit, direction Kropa, Kamna Gorica) and through underpass beneath the railway tracks. In the forth roundabout, take the second exit for Kropa and Kamna Gorica. The road than descend down to Sava river, crosses the river and ascends up to village Zgornje Lancovo.
ParkingA free public parking space is avaliable in front of Mercator grocery shop and Hostar Bar in Zgornje Lancovo.
Book recommendations for this region:
EquipmentEven though the trail follows pristine river streams most of the time, make sure to pack some drinking water.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.