A quick glance of the maps shows that The Rosary Bead trail truly has a shape of a Rosary bead. The Basilica of Mary Help of Christians is the crucifix, the wreath of beautiful villages Brezje, Hudo, Hušica, Leše, Brezje pri Tržiču, Vadiče and Peračica stand as the beads on the string.
This conceptually accomplished trail is than further divided to the Introductory part, Joyful part, Luminous part, Sorrowful part and the Glorious part with special "praying stones" alongside the way for each of the rosary beads.
The trail connects old pilgrimage paths and quiet countryside roads of this beautiful corner of Gorenjska region and offers spectacular views of the Karavanke range, Julian Alps and Kamnik-Savinja Alps. The cultural landscape (fields, hay-racks, shrines...) along the way is beautifully kept, hiking the Rosary bead trail one can truly breath in the spirit of traditional alpine Slovenian countryside.
Safety informationCarefull: some drivers might drive fast on the road from Hudo to Brezje pri Tržiču.
Tips and hints
The family roots of US astronaut Sunita Williams (195 days on the space station) originate from the village Leše on The rosary bead trail. Sunita L. Williams memorial room, named "Dreams of space" can be visited in Leše 1C (Slovenian astronaut institute).
Driving on the motorway from the direction of Radovljica (Bled) or Ljubljana, take exit No. 5 Brezje.
Exiting the motorway drive up the hill to settlement Črnivec, from where you can already see the dominating pilgrimage church. Take the first exit in the roundabout and drive into Brezje village.
ParkingExtensive parking area is avaliable at the start of the trail. Parking fee: 2€ per day.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.