The Sava River Trail is a thematic, interpretational trail that follows the course of river Sava from Camping Šobec to Fux's bridge near Radovljica. It leads its way down cart tracks and narrow fishermen's paths; partly through the realm of marshy forests, partly through riverside meadows - but never too far from the river.
Numerous information panels present along the route present the river basin, gravel bars, boulders, animals in riverside forest and common fish population of Sava river. Two stunning natural monuments are included in this trail : Wetlands at Šobec and Tufa springs (cascades of saturated calcium carbonate deposited on plants).
The trail is excellently signposted and can easily be combined with other nature trails in vicinity : The Three Bridges Trail, Lipnica Castle Natural Science Trail or Grabnarca Waterside Natural Trail.
Safety informationDue to several springs along the riverside, the path can occasionally be wet or muddy.
Tips and hints
- Start the walk with coffe in brand new Restaurant of Camping Šobec
Arriving from Ljubljana or Kranjska Gora :
Take exit 3 (Bled) on A2/E61 motorway. Drive straight through the roundabout (direction: Bled) and continue for approx. 1 km to reach the junction for Camping Šobec (large scale commercial sign on the left-hand side of the road). Turn left and continue driving for 1,5 km to reach the campsite.
Arriving from Bled or Bohinj :
Drive from Bled towards Ljubljana to reach the junction for Camping Šobec (large scale commercial sign on the right-hand side of the road). Turn right, and continue driving for 1,5 km to reach the campsite.
ParkingVast parking spaces for visitors are available to you on the left-hand side of the road. Expect to pay a parking fee on sunny weekends.
Book recommendations for this region:
EquipmentIn case of wet weather, water resistant shoes can be welcome.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.