The path from Pozabljeno to the spring along the right bank of Bistrica is perfect for all generations. It is hidden in the dense tops of birches and pines. In hot summer days, the cold coming from the clear stream is quite a pleasant breeze. Willow trees, alders, ferns and large coltsfoot leaves stretch along the path. Bistrica Brook used to drive mills and blacksmith hammers in the past. When the Bohinj tunnel was built, the water from the spring was artificially driven to the engines of the hydro power plant, which is now a fish hatchery. The brook running through Bohinjska Bistrica, springs below the South Bohinj Mountain Range. Currently, the crystal clear water also runs to the water pipeline for Bohinjska Bistrica.
The ascent from the spring to the pass is very steep and inappropriate for small children or the elderly, thus, we recommend returning along the same way. Otherwise, you can also climb to the pass and return to the trailhead across the sunny Dobrava meadows that offer wonderful views of the surrounding mountains and blossoming meadows. In autumn, cattle graze on the meadows.
Prior to every hike, check the weather forecast and trail conditions.
The trail can be impassable after rainfall.
Rest StopThe source of the Bistrica river
MARKET IN BOHINJSKA BISTRICA
The trail can be icy in winter.
The ascent from the spring to the pass is very steep. The path from the footbridge over Bistrica to the spring is in some places very exposed and not suitable for younger children and the elderly.
Tips and hints
Turizem Bohinj, Stara Fužina, tel.: +386 4 57 47 590
TIC Bohinj, Ribčev Laz, tel.: +386 4 574 60 10
TIC Bohinj, Bohinjska Bistrica, tel.: +386 4 574 76 00
TIC Bohinj, Stara Fužina, tel.: +386 4 572 33 26
TNP Bohinj Centre, Stara Fužina, tel.: +386 1 200 97 60
The Julian Alps: Bohinj Card offers free transport and other benefits.
There are also many restaurants and inns available in Bohinjska Bistrica. Bohinj ECO Hotel, Tripič Restaurant, Danica Inn, Štrudl Inn and Sunrose 7 – Heritage Boutique Hotel all offer dishes with the Bohinjsko/From Bohinj certificate.
Getting thereYou can drive by car to Bohinjska BIstrica from Bled, through Soteska or over Pokljuka. You can also access the village across Jelovica and Soriška planina.
ParkingYou can part at P13 Boh. Bistrica – Danica car park (coordinates: 46.273515, 13.948998).
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
EquipmentWe recommend hiking boots.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.