Take a round trip offering an interesting trail alongside the gorge and the slopes of Hom hill – from here you will able to see the Ljubljana basin, the Karavanke mountains and the Julian Alps.
The Vintgar Gorge, formed by the Radovna river between the Hom and Boršt hills, is one of the most beautiful gorges in Slovenia. The Radovna river leaves the Vintgar Gorge on the eastern side and descends into the depths via the Šum waterfall. A single arched railway bridge, built in 1878, crosses the gorge above the waterfall and 33.5 metres above the path. The Vintgar Gorge was discovered in 1891, but paths, bridges and galleries had to be built in order for it to become accessible by the public. The gorge was opened to the public in 1893 and nowadays it is one of the most visited natural beauty spots in Slovenia.
- Don’t forget to bring your camera!
- There is an entrance fee to go into Bled Castle.
- We encourage you to take this round trip to avoid the crowds in the gorge in the summer months and walk back on the same path you came on.
- There is a fee for the Vintgar Gorge.
On rainy days the path can be slippery, so be careful, especially from the Šum waterfall towards St Catherine’s Church at Hom.
In summer, a section of the path (from St Catherine’s Church at Hom in the direction of the carpark lot at Vintgar) is highly exposed to the sun.
Tips, hints and links
TIC INFOCENTER Triglavska roža Bled
Ljubljanska cesta 27, SI – 4260 Bled
Tel: +386 (0)4 5780 205
TIC - Turistično Društvo Bled
Cesta svobode 10, SI – 4260 Bled
Tel: +386 (0)4 5741 122
Web address: http://www.td-bled.si/
Getting thereAlong the northern Bled by-pass road in the direction Spodnje Gorje/Vintgar.
Address: Podhom 80, 4247 Zgornje Gorje
ParkingThere is also a public pay carpark in front of the Vintgar Gorge entrance point.
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
- Light hiking shoes or sneakers are recommended.
- The use of sun protection is recommended on sunny days.
- In the warmer part of the year the use of tick repellent is recommended