An easy two hour, 10km loop from the center of Bovec to the stunning Virje waterfall.
Distance 9.5 km
This is a perfect trail if you are looking for an easy hike with the entire family, yet you still want to experience the stunning views that the Soča valley has to offer. A 10 km loop, starting from the center of Bovec, passing through the quiet mountain village of Plužna to the magnificent Virje waterfall. However the stunning scenery doesn’t stop there. To complete the loop you pass by a small hydro electric plant where you can snap the perfect reflective picture of Svinjak or Kanin. Additionally, from the parking lot you can visit Gljun springs, originating from the karst underground caverns of Kanin. Although this spring source is flowing virtually year round, it is bursting out the seams after a large rainfall. After the pond, the trail gradually descends to the rolling hills of Bovec golf course and back to the center. Allow 2 hours to complete the entire loop.
Don't forget to see the small pond (200 meters from the parking lot) for beautiful reflective views of Svinjak as well as the source of Gljun stream.
Update: November 04, 2019
Safety informationAfter rainfall this trail can become quite muddy and slippery, choose your footwear accordingly.
Tips and hints
- There is a water fountain in the center of Plužna; A good place to rest and fill up.
- Virje is partially snowmelt fed, so like other waterfalls in the area, it is most impressive during spring runoff.
- 5 minutes walk from the parking lot you will find the source of the river Glijun (Izvir Glijuna) as well as a small hydro electric plant.
- While Slap Virje can easily be accessed by driving, walk the 2 hour loop from the center of Bovec is a better choice.
This is a round trip track starting and ending at the information building in the center of Bovec.
To get to Bovec you can come from the North or the South.
- From the North: Via Kranjska Gora through Vršič pass or through the Italian town of Tarvisio through Predil pass.
- From the South: Follow road number 102 from Tolmin to Kobarid, turning on 203 from Kobarid to Bovec.
ParkingDuring the summer months, parking can be difficult in Bovec. There are a few larger parking lots that generally have space available. Option number 1: directly across from the Mercator supermarket there is a large parking lot. Option number 2: there is a large parking lot near the school and the church.
33T 388620 5132629
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
EquipmentThis is a standard trail, requiring no special equipment. Bring gear according to the weather and the season.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view