Pause for a moment in front of Aljažev dom (1,015 m) to view the spectacular Triglav North Face before setting out for the hike through the Vrata valley. The deep, U-shaped Vrata valley is a typical glacial valley.
The trail follows the tarmac road (you don't have to walk on the road, there is a hiking trail next to it) and gradually descends to A detour to view the Peričnik waterfalls (a 15-minute walk, Peričnik is the common name for the two waterfalls in the Vrata valley.) is warmly recommended.
Mojstrana is a settlement at the confluence of the Sava Dolinka and the Bistrica rivers along the main Jesenice-Rateče road. Mountain tourism is the way of life in this village. Mojstrana was the starting point for climbers trying to conquer the north face of Triglav and other challenges of the region. You will find Dovje just across the main road, already on the slopes of Karavanke.
Safety informationNo special safety issues.
Tips and hintsEntrance fee to the museum is 6€ (2019)
Getting thereFollow the main road Jesenice- Kranjska Gora
ParkingFree parking available in Mojstrana
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
EquipmentNormal hiking equipment.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.