The wonderful cycling route on the Pokljuka plateau starts on Rudno polje. In winter, Rudno polje is the venue for biathlon world cup competitions and a popular spot for cross-country skiing; in summer, it is the starting point for climbing Triglav and other peaks of the Julian Alps. We suggest a visit to the training centre and shooting range. The route takes you along forest roads among the fairy-tale Pokljuka forests, over mountain pastures that offer magnificent views of the Julian Alps and Triglav.
Pokljuka plateau is covered with spruce forests and pastures where cattle graze in summer.
Rest StopTriglav Pokljuka sport centre
Safety informationThe route is used for farming purposes; therefore, you can also meet cars, motorcyclists and forestry machinery along the way. We recommend special attention there. The tour's route runs completely in the Triglav National Park, so stay on asphalt and wide stone forest roads. Tree removal trails and mountaineering trails are inappropriate for cycling.
Tips and hints
Turizem Bohinj, Stara Fužina, tel.: +386 4 57 47 590
TIC Bohinj, Ribčev Laz, tel.: +386 4 574 60 10
TIC Bohinj, Bohinjska Bistrica, tel.: +386 4 574 76 00
TIC Bohinj, Stara Fužina, tel.: +386 4 572 33 26
TNP Bohinj Centre, Stara Fužina, tel.: +386 1 200 97 60
Julian Alps Card: Bohinj offers free transport and other benefits.
Alpinsport, Ribčev Laz
Hike&Bike, Bohinjska Bistrica
Danica Campsite, Bohinjska Bistrica
PAC Sports, Hostel pod Voglom, Zlatorog Camsptie and Pr'Budkovič Hostel
Penzion Rožič, Ribčev Laz
Pošta pr'jezeru post office, Ribčev Laz
Sport4fun, Bohinjska Bistrica
Bohinj TIC, Bohinjska Bistrica
TIC Ribčev Laz
TIC Bohinj, Stara Fužina
Destina Tourist Agency, Ribčev Laz
Vila Triglav, Pokljuka
Walk along the Goreljek peat bog study trail in Goreljek.
Getting thereYou can drive by car to Rudno polje from Bled through Gorje or from Bohinjska Bistrica (past Koprivnik and Gorjuše).
ParkingYou can park at the Rudno polje car park – Triglav Pokljuka Sport Centre 20 (coordinates: 46.345674, 13.923607).
Author’s map recommendations
Basic Equipment for Mountain Biking
- Cycling helmet
- Cycling gloves
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
Technical Equipment for Mountain Biking
- Air pump or CO2 pump including cartridges
- Puncture repair kit
- Replacement inner tube
- Tire levers
- Chain tool
- Hex keys
- Phone / device holder as required
- Bike lock as required
- Where applicable, the bike must meet requirements for road use by having a bell, front and rear lamps and spoke reflectors
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.