Park your vehicle in the village of Koseč and turn uphill in front of the bridge across the Ročica Stream. After crossing the stream you soon notice the markings of the Walk of Peace and the Alpe Adria Trail. After approximately 30 minutes, the gradually ascending cart trail turns into a footpath leading from the forest to a large hay-field. From here, you only have to overcome a short ascent to arrive to the chapel.
From the chapel, the trail leads to a field gate. Just in front of the field gate turn to the left towards the Planica Mountain pasture. You reach the top ridge by following the well-worn footpath. Slopes of the Planica Mountain pasture offer splendid views to all four directions. Continue to the field gate in the direction of Mt. Krn which is well visible along the trail. Climb over the field gate, continue along the well-worn trail through the thin forest, cross the pasture, and return into the forest. The trail takes you to the Zaslap Mountain pasture. From here, continue along the road towards the Slapnik Mountain pasture and further until you reach the turn to the right. Signs will direct you back towards the Bes military chapel and the village of Drežnica. On the return you have to follow a mule trail through the forest and also cross a ravine a couple of times (two bridges and steel ropes are of great help here). In front of the Bes military chapel start following the trail you came from and descend back to the starting point in the village of Koseč.
During the summer months, there is a Hop On Hop Off shuttle bus running to the village of Drežnica and back (additional 2 km of walking): schedule.
This trail is easy and also appropriate for families.
The tour is partially routed along an easy hiking trail. Use of the hiking trails is at your own risk!
Tips and hintsFollow the worn trail at the unmarked section. This trail occasionally disappears in the grass, but you can easily find it again if you have at least some sense of orientation. You can always use the top of Mt. Krn as the orientation point when you follow the trail routed beneath it towards the Zaslap Mountain pasture.
Getting thereAlong the regional road Kobarid - Drežnica - Koseč.
ParkingYou can park in front or in the village of Koseč – there is no official parking lot.
Book recommendations for this region:
EquipmentThe trail requires you to wear hiking footwear.
Basic Equipment for Mountain Hikes
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Mountain Hikes
- Climbing helmet as required
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.