At the Pri koritu parking lot above the village of Drežniške Ravne turn to the right towards the Vrata Mountain pass. The trail is initially routed through the forest, continues along the pasture, and leads to the parking lot in front of the Zapleč Mountain pasture. Cross the fence and ascend along the comfortable marked mule trail to the Vrata Mountain pass. Along the entire trail you have the chance to enjoy in splendid views towards the west and north and in the view of the Zapleč Mountain pasture and the Zaprikraj Mountain pasture further away from where a marked trail is routed to Mt. Krasji vrh. During the autumn months, you can take a break to pick and eat wild raspberries along the trail.
When you leave the grassy terrain and arrive to the rocky section just beneath the Vrata Mountain pass, you arrive to a junction. The cart trail to the right leads to Mt. Krn, however, you should continue to the left to a distinctive ridge of Mt. Lopatnik. The numerous remnants of World War I represent silent reminders of how senseless were the events that took place along the entire ridge and in the wider surrounding area more than a century ago. Looking across the ridge, you can enjoy in views of the Lepena Valley with the Julian Alps above it and Mt Skutnik with the numerous caverns across the ravine. Return along the same trail.
The trail is entirely safe, however, some hikers might be disturbed by the cattle grazing above the Zapleč Mountain pasture.
The tour is partially routed along an easy hiking trail. Use of the hiking trails is at your own risk!
Tips and hints
From Mt. Lopatnik you can continue in the direction or to Mt. Krn (towards SE), or along the ridge to Mt. Vršič (towards NW).
After you return to the Zaprikraj Mountain pasture, you can also visit the outdoor museum located approximately 2 kilometres away. The trail is marked and the outdoor museum is well worth visiting.
Getting thereDrive along the regional road Kobarid – Drežnica and continue to the village of Drežniške Ravne. When you arrive to the intersection, start following the signs for the Zapleč Mountain pasture.
ParkingPri koritu parking lot above the village of Drežniške Ravne or the parking lot in front of the Zapleč Mountain pasture.
Book recommendations for this region:
EquipmentHiking footwear with well-profiled souls and a sufficient supply of water during the summer months.
Basic Equipment for Mountain Hikes
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Mountain Hikes
- Climbing helmet as required
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.