This short (and truly easy) walk takes the visitor from the hearth of a historic village Mošnje to the archaeological site at the far end of the village. Passing by the old school building (with sad memories of the second world war), you soon reach a very old and interesting church of St. Andrew. Literally just across the street, the Mošnje Ethnological Museum welcomes you to learn about the way of life and work in Mošnje in the past.
Passing by a working fish farm, the Mošnje Archaeological Trail brings you to the remarkable findings of Villa Rustica. Roman countryside villa dates back to the period between the first and fourth centuries, and it lay buried under deposits of soil until 2006. The remnants of the five stone-built farm and residential buildings, which once formed a single unit, as well as a number of artefacts, give a better picture of the life of the residents two millenniums ago.
The ancient St. Andrew's Church is a cultural and historical gem, which one should not miss when whilst walking through the village of Mošnje.
Safety informationThe walk predominantly follows quiet village streets, however the descent to fish farm in Graben is quite steep and slippery in wet (handrail).
Tips and hints
- When in Mošnje, take time to visit the Mošnje Ethnological Museum. Set up by a group of village enthusiasts, this well-arranged museum presents the everyday life of the residents of the village in the past.
- There is another - perhaps much more famous famous - villa in Mošnje than the ancient roman Vila rustica. Vila Podvin led by the famous young slovenian chef Uroš Štefelin is recognized as one of the top five restaurants in the country.
Arriving from Bled:
Use the motorway A2 and take the exit 4 (OMV petrol station). Turn left, when reaching the first junction (signpost: Mošnje, Grad Podvin). The road ascends to a small ridge, then descend right back down again. At the bottom of the slope, turn right by the traffic lights (signpost: Grad Podvin, Mošnje). Drive into the village (passing the famous restaurant Vila Podvin). Soon you will recognize the fire station (Gasilski dom) and Cultural centre (Kulturni dom) on your left-hand side.
Arriving from Radovljica:
Follow the main Kranjska cesta to the traffic lights near the SPAR/ Hofer shopping centre. Turn right in the junction (signpost: Ljubljana, Jesenice, Kranj, Mošnje) and continue driving straight ahead (passing the petrol station). Ignore the exits to the town and the motorway and always drive straight ahead. The road ascends to a small ridge, then descend right back down again. At the bottom of the slope, turn right by the traffic lights (signpost: Grad Podvin, Mošnje). Drive into the village (passing the famous restaurant Vila Podvin), until you see the fire station (Gasilski dom) and Cultural centre (Kulturni dom) on your left-hand side.
Arriving from Ljubljana:
Use the motorway A2 and take the exit 5 (Brezje). Reaching the local road, turn left (signpost: Brezje, Grad Podvin, Mošnje). Drive towards the roundabout, and take the second exit (straight-ahead, signpost: Radovljica). The road takes you past the village Črnivec and descends down to the traffic lights in Podvin. Turn left, and drive into the village (passing the famous restaurant Vila Podvin). Soon you will recognize the fire station (Gasilski dom) and Cultural centre (Kulturni dom) on your left-hand side.
ParkingA large (free of cost) parking area is available at the between the school, sports playground and Cultural centre.
Basic Equipment for Nature Trails
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Comfortable clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.